Wednesday, November 10, 2010

What About Thanksgiving?

Thanksgiving has become the forgotten holiday in America.  Halloween candy is barely off the store shelves before the Christmas trees go up and all kinds of Christmas supplies laid out.

It used to be, way back when I came over on the Mayflower, Thanksgiving was a pretty big deal.  My brothers and I would fight over who would get the most amount of turkey with the skin still left on it.  That's because my mom knows how to bake a turkey to ultimate perfection, accompanied by gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, green beans and rolls.  And, of course, we'd also fight over who was going to get to pull the wishbone.

We spent the week after Thanksgiving eating turkey sandwiches and turkey-vegetable soup until every spare part on the bird had been 100 percent utilized.

Things are different these days, and I blame it on commercial hype.  I noticed one of my neighbors has alread put up his outdoor Christmas lights.  Geesh! We haven't even reached the middle of November yet!

Oh well . . . I'm looking forward to packing my lunch with sausage stuffing and turkey gravy.  That's what puts the "gobble, gobble" in T-day!

No comments:

Post a Comment