Friday, September 14, 2012

Beauty and the Beast

As I was sitting at my desk working late in the day on a beautiful September afternoon, I heard sirens. They were on the periphery of my attention as a host of emergency personnel agencies are located nearby. Sirens are not uncommon.

The blaring sound kept up and I realized numerous police and fire vehicles were zooming down the road in front of the office where I work. I got up to look out the window to find my usual beautiful view had an ugly mark on it.

The state is in the process of making the road in front of the building into a four-lane from the two-lane it has been for countless years. It was sad to see the many old, thick-trunked hardwood trees being wrenched from the ground and ground into mulch.

To add insult to injury it seems a piece of heavy equipment being used to do so caught on fire, spewing noxious black smoke into the air.

The beauty of the day had been smacked by the beast of "progress."

No comments:

Post a Comment